Page Locksmith’s Home Security Checklist
How safe is your home? Review this checklist to discover home security solutions for protecting your property and, most importantly, your family:
- Every entry door should have a Grade 1 deadlock, including the door linking your garage and house.
- Secure your windows with quality window locks.
- Make sure your landscaping is trimmed well so hedges and shrubs do not hide your windows.
- Ensure your property is well lit at night.
- When you go away on vacations, use timers for interior lights.
- Avoid hiding spare keys outside.
- Consider a home alarm system.
- Equip all of your exterior doors with a wide-angle eye viewer that allows you to identify visitors.
- Consider your perimeter security. Walk around your yard at different times of the day to judge lighting and shadows. Think about how you enter and exit the home from different doorways.
- Plant thorny or prickly shrubbery near widows.
- Install motion sensors to control your exterior lighting.
- Do not leave your home unlocked for a child coming home from school. Consider an electronic keypad lock in lieu of hide-a-keys or unlocked doors.
- Never leave ground level windows open or ajar when you are not home.
- Make sure all of your sliding glass doors have at least one of the following:
- Track Lock
- Hinged Door Bar
- Insertion Pin Lock
- Metal or Wood Dowel in Track